
Lessig, Laurence. Free Culture: How Big Media Uses Technology and the Law to Lock Down Culture and Control Creativity. New York: Penguin Press, 2004.
I found myself referencing this book a number of times in discussion postings, so I thought I would add it to the list. If you love to download media (music, films), if you have ever wondered if what you were doing was legal, if you want to know how media corporations wield control over the distribution of media, then this is definitely a must-read book. The first part of the title in the MLA Work Cited entry above - Free Culture - is linked to a web site, where there is some free content from the book available. I have also linked the author's name to his web site as well. Finally, I would be remiss if I didn't provide a link to Stanford's Center for Internet and Society. Lessig created the center, and he currently directs it as well. The MCTC college library does have a copy of this book on its shelves. (The book jacket cover photograph is from the Free Culture web site: http://www.free-culture.cc/.)
No comments:
Post a Comment